Sep 14 2007


Posted by J. Craig Canada in Employment & Housing, Genealogy, laptop, trial, web publishing

I got my laptop back September 6th. It finally got to the point I couldn’t use it and the ‘restore’ disks didn’t work. I found my receipts and it turns out it still was under warranty, so I called them. They sent me a box after I told them how it was behaving. Or not behaving.

When I got it back, I discovered I had made a typo in my genealogy which meant none of the links worked. It took me about 3 days to fix that. And another day or so to reinstall everything.

Since I regenerated the genealogy so that the links work, the hits on my website are inching up. I think it was July 29th I regenerated the genealogy (with the typo) and republished it. It will be interesting to see what kind of traffic I get once the web indexing robots have crawled over all those links.

I decided not to reinstall the Norton as it runs so much faster without it. It boots in a minute or so now. With Norton it took more than ten minutes to boot.

A friend of Robert’s tentatively offered me housing on the forums, and I haven’t heard from him since. Robert told me he’d gone to Burning Man, implying there was nothing to be done about it until after then.

And so I’ve waited and heard nothing.

Perhaps they were put off by my response. And if so then maybe I shouldn’t live there.

I said something like, “I certainly don’t intend to spend all my time proving how helpful I can be to everyone.” This was because he said something about not everyone he tried to ‘help’ had ‘worked out’ and what did I have to contribute and would I bring law enforcement down on them.

So I said I didn’t think I liked the question, and asked would I be constantly harassed for cigarettes, marijuana, and money.

I was hoping to be housed at this point. But the weather is good, unusually warm, and I haven’t been harassed since I won in court.

Ron Cutler walked up to me the other day and embarrassed me with praise about how much it meant to him (and ‘everyone’) that I had won in court. He asked me if I’d been to the concentration camp and when I replied that I hadn’t, not for a year or more, he told me I was an icon there.

I go to court again the 21st at 1:30 pm and I fear things may not go as well this time. But there’s not a whole lot I can do about it.

Being without my laptop was really trying. I spent a week or two believing it was toast and I would disconnected for the forseable future.

But the break was good for me. I realized I have spent virtually every possible hour (and considerable expense) to be online.

It’s not easy being connected when you’re homeless.

Facebook Comments